Underclocking stops crashing - what's the problem?
MinMin
2003-12-06 13:15:57 UTC
Could someone tell me if I have a faulty graphics card, or
incompatibility with my new m/b, or some other problem?

I have a Mercury GeForce4 MX440 AGP4x 64mbRAM . A couple of months ago I
installed an Asus P4S8X-X m/b, P4 2.4G, 512mbRAM and 400w power supply.
In the last few weeks any games I've played (Dungeon Seige, Diablo 2, Age
of Empires 2) all crash out or freeze up after a while. I tried all
sorts of BIOS settings and different drivers (btw, running Win98), all
with the same result. Then I eventually found that underclocking to the
minimum shown in RivaTuner (core 225Mhz, mem 300Mhz) seemed to fix the
problem. So then I thought it must be an overheating problem, but the
fan on the card seems to be working fine and having a pedestal fan
blowing straight into my open case didn't seem to make any difference, so
I presume I can rule that out.

I've now run out of ideas. I think I read somewhere that the Sis 648
chipset can have a problem with GeForce cards. Could this be the cause?
Or (as I'm hoping) is it a problem with the card itself? Any ideas?
--
MinMin ("yahoo" at the lite to email reply)

"Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
He would stay up late every night and wonder if there was a dog."
Seahorse
2003-12-06 14:42:21 UTC
Following prompt first aid from the medic MinMin <***@Lite.com>
managed to scrawl the following bloodstained message On Sat, 6 Dec
Post by MinMin
[...]
My suggestions in priority order are:

1. Are you overclocking the PC (hence the AGP interface too)? If so,
don't.

2. Reset all the bios settings to default then adjust the ones
relevant to your hardware and nothing else.

3. Ensure you have all the relevant & current drivers for Mobo,
Graphics & soundcards.

4. Update to WinXP, though this will probably solve all of them if
you clean install (i.e. Back up data files, then format C:

---------
Rgds Mike
Remove XXX to reply

I’m sorry Dave, I can’t do that.
- HAL 9000

WWW.Dead-Fish.Com - Deep Sea Daddies...
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=the_Seahorse
Flow
2003-12-07 10:58:10 UTC
I doubt winxp will help you lol.
However,you maybe need a different aperture value set?
Could be 64mb or even lower,or higher,experiment with this.
It's in bios,also try to check with only lower core setting and normal
memory setting.
And reverse this,just to see if it's the memory or core chip.
The heat from cpu can be directed to your vidcard because of the cpu
ventilator
so large vidcards can block alot of heat,feel with your fingers if your card
gets really hot
also check your system temps,if normal you can rule out heat.
MinMin
2003-12-10 11:15:34 UTC
In article <3KDAb.1776$***@amstwist00>, did ***@zonnet.nl really
say...
Post by MinMin
[...]
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not overclocking anything, I've tried
all the aperture settings (including the ones that disable AGP) and
various other BIOS settings, heaps of different drivers from 23.11 to
45.23, and underclocking core and mem separately, but still no good. CPU
usually runs at 30-35C (according to MBM, confirmed by Asus Probe). And
it seems to be getting worse - Diablo2 froze after less than 2 hours,
even with underclocking. So I'm guessing that the card is the problem,
but I'm going to borrow a friend's GeForce3 while he moves house over the
weekend, so that will give me more of an idea hopefully.

Thanks again!
--
MinMin

"Why do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call
waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in
the first place?"
Seahorse
2003-12-12 21:21:57 UTC
Following prompt first aid from the medic "Flow" <***@zonnet.nl>
managed to scrawl the following bloodstained message On Sun, 7 Dec
Post by Flow
I doubt winxp will help you lol.
However,you maybe need a different aperture value set?
Could be 64mb or even lower,or higher,experiment with this.
It's in bios,also try to check with only lower core setting and normal
memory setting.
And reverse this,just to see if it's the memory or core chip.
The heat from cpu can be directed to your vidcard because of the cpu
ventilator
so large vidcards can block alot of heat,feel with your fingers if your card
gets really hot
also check your system temps,if normal you can rule out heat.
A clean Install of WinXP on 'modern' hardware will fix just about any
problem you may have.

The AGP aperture setting is a waste of time. Leave it at 64MB, anyone
who tells you different is full of BS.

Don't waste your time with your fingers. Anything in excess of 39C
registers as hot according to your body. You are NOT sensitive enough
to tell the difference.

---------
Rgds Mike
Remove XXX to reply

"Have you had enough Nazi,or do you want some more!"
- Rick(Young Ones)

Flow
2003-12-12 22:07:41 UTC
Try sticking your fingers in a cup of coffee at 60C and 80c.
I bet you can tell the difference.
Hm,the point of feeling the card is that if you can touch it for several
seconds it's not too hot.
Aperture size is not important?Maybe not to you and me.
Yes i tried all settings without problems,but there are users who have
problems with some agp aperture settings.
Ah,you must work for microsoft..........
Flow
Seahorse
2003-12-13 00:55:12 UTC
Following prompt first aid from the medic "Flow" <***@zonnet.nl>
managed to scrawl the following bloodstained message On Fri, 12 Dec
Post by Flow
Hm,forgot to mention my cards manufacturor advices me to set it at 128mb.
Are you trolling?
Care to share, the bios aperture settings are almost always
recommended at 64MB. Presumably you are in the minority...
---------
Rgds Mike
Remove XXX to reply

The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Seahorse
2003-12-13 00:52:01 UTC
Post by Flow
Try sticking your fingers in a cup of coffee at 60C and 80c.
I bet you can tell the difference.
Hm,the point of feeling the card is that if you can touch it for several
seconds it's not too hot.
Aperture size is not important?Maybe not to you and me.
Yes i tried all settings without problems,but there are users who have
problems with some agp aperture settings.
Ah,you must work for microsoft..........
Ah, if I had a pound for every self appointed 'expert' who is
sensitive to heat and knows something about aperture size. Go into
the kitchen armed with your finger and a thermometer. When your scars
have healed read something covering bios setups, I would suggest:

http://www.rojakpot.com/bog.aspx

Until then STFU...
---------

MinMin
2003-12-22 12:47:11 UTC
Post by Flow
[...]
Hmmmm.... I won't comment on the course this thread took before I got
back to it. But I can tell you that my mate's GF3 Ti500 works great -
I've tried running it for hours on end with no problems at all. And I
can tell just by touching it that it is running MUCH hotter (sorry to
open that can of worms Seahorse.... do seahorses eat worms?....!)) So,
any ideas as to what this might mean apart from a faulty card....?

I think I might get an X-Micro FX5600....
--
MinMin

Seahorse
2003-12-22 17:48:34 UTC
Following prompt first aid from the medic MinMin <***@Lite.com> managed to
scrawl the following bloodstained message with a stump On Mon, 22 Dec 2003
Post by MinMin
Hmmmm.... I won't comment on the course this thread took before I got
back to it. But I can tell you that my mate's GF3 Ti500 works great -
I've tried running it for hours on end with no problems at all. And I
can tell just by touching it that it is running MUCH hotter (sorry to
open that can of worms Seahorse.... do seahorses eat worms?....!)) So,
any ideas as to what this might mean apart from a faulty card....?
I think I might get an X-Micro FX5600....
Only ones that have drowned...

Too vague as well. What is being overclocked if anything? What cooling method is
in use...
--
Rgds Mike - Remove XXX to reply
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
MinMin
2003-12-23 12:35:03 UTC
Post by MinMin
[...]
Not overclocking anything. Both have fans and heatsinks. I've left the
case completely open while I'm swapping cards around. Room is
airconditioned. CPU runs usually at 30-35C, never more than 40, even
running games.

My MX440 seems to run cooler than the GF3, so I presume that overheating
isn't the problem, even though it seems to last longer when underclocking
(but only when BOTH core and mem are underclocked) and freezes much
sooner when overclocked a bit. I'm thinking maybe the card has always
been faulty, but because my old Celeron 700 didn't run it at anywhere
near its full capacity (3dMark2001 scores around 2100) the problem didn't
show up - now with the P4 2.4 (3dMark score 5400) it has to try to run to
its max and can't do it; it can only go close to running properly when
underclocked....? Is this a possibility?
--
MinMin

"It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of grandiose verbiage
in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be expressed using
comparatively simplistic lexicological entities."
Seahorse
2003-12-23 22:07:00 UTC
Following prompt first aid from the medic MinMin <***@Lite.com> managed to
scrawl the following bloodstained message with a stump On Tue, 23 Dec 2003
Post by MinMin
Not overclocking anything. Both have fans and heatsinks. I've left the
case completely open while I'm swapping cards around. Room is
airconditioned. CPU runs usually at 30-35C, never more than 40, even
running games.
That all helps, apart from leaving the case open, which is never a good idea. All
it takes is one cat/kids/spill etc to make it all go pop. I have experienced this
twice - although once was my own stupid fault - Doh!
Post by MinMin
My MX440 seems to run cooler than the GF3, so I presume that overheating
isn't the problem, even though it seems to last longer when underclocking
(but only when BOTH core and mem are underclocked) and freezes much
sooner when overclocked a bit. I'm thinking maybe the card has always
been faulty, but because my old Celeron 700 didn't run it at anywhere
near its full capacity (3dMark2001 scores around 2100) the problem didn't
show up - now with the P4 2.4 (3dMark score 5400) it has to try to run to
its max and can't do it; it can only go close to running properly when
underclocked....? Is this a possibility?
There is no reason at all to underclock you machine. If you are using the current
drivers for motherboard, graphic & sound (Plus any other item of hardware you
might have connected) it should run fine.

If it is still crashing after that I would be tempted to format C: and see if a
fresh install helps. Use WinXP don't waste time on obsolete OS.

Beyond that it has to be hardware - not temperature issues. Check RAM is seated,
swap them about if you have more than 1 DIMM. See is motherboard is warped, 1/2
popped cards will cause crashes. Try another PSU if possible and use a surge
protector.

Beyond that,I would be tempted to bet it with a hammer...
--
Rgds Mike - Remove XXX to reply
"I suggest a new strategy, let the Wookie win."
MinMin
2003-12-26 13:13:21 UTC
Post by MinMin
[...]
Hmmmm, belting it with a hammer sounds like a reasonable idea. My wife
is probably wondering how I haven't done that already!

I only have the one DIMM, and another PSU is not an option.... As the
GF3 works fine, is it still possible that a format could fix the problem?
I'm having trouble wrapping my limited computer knowledge around the idea
of how it would do any good in this case....?
--
MinMin

"Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?"
Seahorse
2003-12-26 18:06:41 UTC
Following prompt first aid from the medic MinMin <***@Lite.com> managed to
scrawl the following bloodstained message with a stump On Fri, 26 Dec 2003
Post by MinMin
I only have the one DIMM, and another PSU is not an option.... As the
GF3 works fine, is it still possible that a format could fix the problem?
I'm having trouble wrapping my limited computer knowledge around the idea
of how it would do any good in this case....?
Removes all the left over clag that eventually seizes your machine up...
--
Rgds Mike - Remove XXX to reply
It was the worst day of my life. Ever.
CJ
2003-12-25 12:43:26 UTC
Apologies if the following is miles off target, but there's not much of the
thread on my server.

Two suggestions.

1, Try 'removing' your sound card (via device manager) and see if the system
crashes.

2. What wattage is your PSU?

I've fixed 2, apparently graphics cards, issues and the 2 reasons above
were the causes.

The second was a real bitch because the system ran fine until you ran
something that tried to use the 3D capabilities, when the system froze.
Turned out that the extra power needed when in 3D mode was just more than
the PSU could supply. Stuck a 250W PSU in and everything was fine (this was
a couple of years back). If underclocking fixes your issue then this would
be my first bet.

Hope this is of some help.

CJ

- Big snip -
-Snip-
MinMin
2003-12-26 12:54:40 UTC
Post by MinMin
[...]
Thanks for your input. For your info, this was my original post -

"I have a Mercury GeForce4 MX440 AGP4x 64mbRAM . A couple of months ago
I installed an Asus P4S8X-X m/b, P4 2.4G, 512mbRAM and 400w power supply.
In the last few weeks any games I've played (Dungeon Seige, Diablo 2, Age
of Empires 2) all crash out or freeze up after a while. I tried all
sorts of BIOS settings and different drivers (btw, running Win98), all
with the same result. Then I eventually found that underclocking to the
minimum shown in RivaTuner (core 225Mhz, mem 300Mhz) seemed to fix the
problem. So then I thought it must be an overheating problem, but the
fan on the card seems to be working fine and having a pedestal fan
blowing straight into my open case didn't seem to make any difference, so
I presume I can rule that out."

The latest part of the thread just before you picked it up was where I
tried a mate's GF3 Ti500, with no problems whatsoever. Does this give
you any more clues? My guess (very uneducated) is either the card is
faulty or it doesn't get on with the m/b for some reason....?
--
MinMin

"When Microsoft starts making something that doesn't suck, it'll probably
be a vacuum cleaner."
Flow
2003-12-27 21:13:20 UTC
I can only think of powersupply.
GF4 cards need more power then GF3 cards.
Try a fresh install but i don't think this is the issue.
With a P4 and a gf4 card you need at least a 360watt psu.
Ofcourse there are 250 psu user4s that have no problems but usually this
is the main reason for crashing out of a game.
Since you have no probs running your comp with a gf3 i pressume the rest of
your system is working alright.
be a vacuum cleaner."
RJ
2003-12-07 14:22:32 UTC
Post by MinMin
Could someone tell me if I have a faulty graphics card, or
incompatibility with my new m/b, or some other problem?
I have a Mercury GeForce4 MX440 AGP4x 64mbRAM . A couple of months ago I
installed an Asus P4S8X-X m/b,
I had a shed load of problems with my P4S8X-X and Geforce 4 4800SE

1) Make Sure you have the latest 1.17 SiS AGP driver installed from ASUS
website
(Seemed to stop random reboot problem).

2) Install the Interim (not certified) NVidia 53.03 Drivers from EVGA.com
The 52.16 drivers seemed to cause my video display / monitor to hang at
random intervals.
Haven't had a problem since using the 53.03 drivers.
http://www.evga.com/support/downloads/default.asp

3) If that fails, check you have the 1004 Bios.

Hope that helps.

RJ
http://www.shopman.co.uk - UK Internet Shopping Portal For Blokes
MinMin
2003-12-10 11:27:16 UTC
In article <***@ersa.uk.clara.net>, did ***@anon.com
really say...
Post by RJ
Post by MinMin
[...]
The 1.17 AGP drivers appear to be for Win98SE up only, but I'll d/l them
anyway. However, I'm not sure whether I'll try them - the last time I
tried loading the 1.13 drivers from the m/b cd I got windows protection
errors and couldn't find the file causing the problem - fortunately I had
a complete backup Windows directory that was only a week or so old, so I
didn't lose too much (except a whole day trying to fix the problem!)

The 1004 Bios didn't help when I tried it a week or so ago. I'll try the
latest leaked drivers as you suggest (it looks like 52.70 are the latest
for Win98), but I'm not hopeful - the problem appears to be getting worse
so it may end up being a fault with the card (and since that would be the
easiest problem to fix, even if not the cheapest, I'm hoping that's what
it is - I'm just sick and tired of stuffing around).

Thanks for your input!

the first place?"
Seahorse
2003-12-10 19:26:48 UTC
Following prompt first aid from the medic MinMin <***@Lite.com>
managed to scrawl the following bloodstained message On Wed, 10 Dec
2003 21:27:16 +1000:

Another thought, or two.

Make sure your cards are seated properly a slightly warped
motherboards can cause them to POP. Also try swapping your RAM
around, you might have a dicky stick.

Forceware 53.04s are out - WinXP ones.

If all else fails Format C:
---------